Edox is a family-owned Swiss watch brand, manufacturing watches with quartz and mechanical movements in the lovely village of Les Genevez in the Swiss Jura.
Over 130 years of innovation and Swiss watchmaking tradition
If time is a river, then Swiss watchmaker Edox is a master sailor on this constantly flowing dimension.
For 130 years, Edox has produced exceptional, innovative and elegant timepieces for men and women, blending state-of-the-art technologies and design with the exquisite craftsmanship that has made Switzerland the world’s leader in horology.
For Edox, watchmaking is more than a business; it is a passionate connection with life itself. No surprise, then, that the company was founded in 1883 not as a cold, calculated money-making venture but via an affair of the heart. Gifted watchmaker Christian Ruefli-Flury gave his wife, Pauline, a pocket watch he had designed for her 25th birthday. Touched, she persuaded her husband to form his own company.
Thus Edox (the ‘hour’ in ancient Greek) was born, becoming a thriving business over the following decades.
- In 1921, after Christian Ruefli-Flury’s death, Edox turned to producing wristwatches and has since notched up some notable achievements:
- The revolutionary Delfin in 1961, water-resistant to 200 metres thanks to its double-crown gasket, double case-back and special shock proofing
- The remarkable Hydrosub in 1965, water-resistant to 500 metres
- The Geoscope 24-hour Worldtimer in 1970, with its unique ‘world map’ as seen from the South Pole and displaying the earth’s timezones. Today the watch is a highly sought-after collector’s piece
- The Les Bémonts Ultra Slim in 1988, at just 1.4 mm thick, then the world’s slimmest calendar watch
- In 2006 Edox launched a collection of sports watches, water-resistant to 500 metres and incorporating materials derived from aerospace research, such as titanium, carbon and ceramic
Renowned for its technical excellence, Edox has in the past few years formed partnerships with a number of world leading sporting associations and events, such as the Formula One with Sauber F1 Team and the World Curling Federation.
But it is to two of its iconic timepieces – the Delfin and Geoscope – that Edox, based in Les Genevez in the heart of the Swiss Jura since 1983, has returned to celebrate its 130th anniversary in 2014.
1860: Born in Courrendlin (Switzerland), son of a foundry master. Educated in Courrendlin.
1870: Moved to Grenchen (Swizterland). Commenced horology apprenticeship with Urs Schild, one the great Master Watchmakers, before joining the Eterna watch company.
1883: Married Pauline Flury. Worked for Jean Ægler – watchmaker in Biel-Bienne until 1883.
1884: Founded his own watchmaking atelier in Biel-Bienne. Principal founder of Lake Biel-Bienne Steam Boat Company and originator of the Evilard funicular and the Wildermeth Hospital in Biel-Bienne. Made numerous significant donations to regional hospitals and to children’s nurseries in Biel-Bienne and gave monetary support to retirement homes and sanatoriums for the hard of hearing.
Manuals are included with all our watches. But you’ll find them here too! If your missing a manual and want to know more information about one of our products you can always contact our service department on +31 (0)20 679 46 33 (in the menu choose for option 3) or e-mail email@example.com
Displaying 1 to 18 of 18 files.